Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Year, New Project!!!

Yes, you read it, NEW PROJECT. My friend Farrah and I like to knit projects together, especially when she comes to visit. We had picked out a project to begin when she came for Christmas and after starting the project, we decided to bag it for awhile because this particular project was a bit fussy. Yesterday we were sitting around the house (actually lounging in my bed - yes, my bed. The boys get the living room, the girls get the bedroom - it is a bit of a tradition) discussing what project we might like to do other than the dreaded first project... I told Farrah I would be interested in knitting a shawl. Now if you know me, you know I am not a shawl wearer. I love the look of them, I enjoy knitting lace but they are not useful for me since I am not a shawl wearer. The shawl I was interested in, however, is a "shawlette". It can be worn more like a scarf - which I love. We agreed upon the Hayworth Shawlette written by Victoria Lynn. It is very symmetrical, not frilly but interesting. I chose to use Shubui Sock Yarn in the color Wasabi. I do love my green!!! Farrah chose to use a yarn from a company called SnickleFritz - yarn she purchased at Sock Summit because it is delicious and it also contains the name of her brother Fritz, who passed away 4 years ago in a plane crash. We started the shawls coincidentally on the anniversary of his passing. Please stay tuned for the updates on these shawls...



I have also been making progress on my "Owls" sweater. I have about 25 rows to knit before I am ready to make the short sleeves, attach them to the body and knit my owls. This sweater should be done far before the end of the month, unless I am distracted by some other fantastic wonderful distraction.

I hope to pick up my fiber from the local artist this week.

I am really excited that winter break is over for the boys. It is time for everyone to get back to a routine and for Mom and Dad to feel like we have some semblance of control again. Maybe Christmas will come down this week, maybe not. We will see.

6 comments:

  1. there are twelve days of xmas so technically i think you have til about the 6th or 7th or something like that! you are one fast knitter. sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just checked out the shawlette on ravelry! love it. i just did one similar - the springtime bandit. it took forever! i agree. not a shawl wearer either. i don't like their shape. i just got some bamboo in the mail - from etsy. and three bobbins. and an ashford wpi guide - $5 instead of $17 from the other company. all other stuff from the woolery. yea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pattern, and love the color! I happen to have some. :-) One day I will finish my wrap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy, one day I will finish mine as well! YIKES. I am not sure when that day will be but someday! Then we can all go out to a fancy dinner and wear our expensive wraps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i bought you a mrs. styro head today! will bring it to you on friday!!! it will work great for all your hat making. i think it's a tad smaller than a normal head - especially since it doesn't have hair, but i think if you put a thin cap on it, it will be closer to a real size head. maybe two caps for a big man head!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are awesome. Thanks for thinking of me on your shopping endeavors. I will see you on Friday. PS - got my BFL from Northern Lights Fiber Co. It is spinning up like a dream. I can't wait to see it plied. I may have enough to make something large!!! We will see.

    ReplyDelete